Error
  • XML Parsing Error at 1:7669. Error 9: Invalid character
  • XML Parsing Error at 1:7669. Error 9: Invalid character
Church of San Babila, Milan PDF Print
Da visitare - Monumenti da visitare

alt The church of San Babila in Milan

is located in the homonymous square at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, Corso Europa, Corso Venezia and Corso Monforte.

On the site of the church now seems that there existed another built on the ruins of a pagan temple dedicated to the Sun, this church, of which no trace remains, was called "Council of the Saints" would have been buried there since the first Christian Milan.

The reconstruction was in the fourth century and some architectural and decorative details denounce another reconstruction before the ninth century.

The current basilica is longer than the original because at the end of the sixteenth century was added to the front bay and a new facade was completed in Baroque style.

The complex was rebuilt in the mid-nineteenth century in order to go back to the medieval basilica, in the early twentieth century neo-Romanesque facade was built, designed by Paolo Cesa-Bianchi and the bell tower, built in 1820 to replace the one that collapsed in sixteenth century, in 1926 was transformed into a neo-Romanesque style.

The Basilica of St. Babila was once considered the most important in Milan after the Dome and the Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio, so that its priests were entitled to a place of honor in the religious ceremonies in the city.

Architecture and art

The church of San Babila in Milan is one of the main churches in Romanesque Revival style. Of the three naves, each ending in a semicircular apse, the central barrel-vaulted to cruise while the sides are ribbed.

The original church remains virtually nothing, because what you see today is the son of heavy repairs, or rather imitations, which were submitted in the last two centuries all the medieval churches of the city.

In addition to some medieval capital, has been saved by the destructive fury of the "restoration" only a small group of five-seventeenth-century tombstones placed on the right wall at the entrance. In the right aisle there is also seventeenth-century image of Our Lady, which is among the most popular among Catholics in Milan.

The two side chapels from the late Renaissance, but are decorated with images of modern academic style. In particular, the left one, dedicated to St. Joseph, contains paintings by Ludovico Pogliaghi (St. Joseph with baby Jesus, saints), the right dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, prides itself instead of paintings by Giuseppe Bertini ( San Antonio at the foot of the crucifix) and Joseph Mentessi (Franciscan saints).

The mosaic in the apse (San Babila with three young martyrs) is modern.
 

CittÓ italiane

article thumbnail CittÓ di Palermo
Thursday, 02 September 2010 |

Webitaly.it
Network JollyPortal: [ powered by Web Agency Pisa ] :: HOTELS ITALIA :: AZIENDE ITALIA :: HOTEL PISA :: powered by TSE Posizionamento motori di ricerca

network portali