Error
  • XML Parsing Error at 1:7669. Error 9: Invalid character
  • XML Parsing Error at 1:7669. Error 9: Invalid character
Palace of the Elephants Catania PDF Print
Da visitare - Monumenti da visitare

alt Palace of the Elephants

It stands on the north side of the spectacular Piazza Duomo. Its construction in 1696 after the terrible earthquake of 1693, attended by many architects: the original design was created by Giovan Battista Lombard in 1696, the facades east, south and west were designed by Giovan Battista Vaccarini while the north was built by Caramel Battaglia.

The grand staircase that opens onto the courtyard was finally included in the nineteenth century by Stephen Ittar. Inside the building there is a quadrangle with porticoes on two sides. In the entrance of the building are kept two carriages of the eighteenth century in a sedan that is used during the celebrations of St. Agatha to bring the mayor to the Church of Sant'Agata alla Fornace for the procession of the day February 3. In the main hall on the first floor houses paintings of the painter Giuseppe Catania Sciuti.

The fire

In 1944, following popular unrest, the town hall was burned were lost and the precious historical archives of the municipality. After the fire the rooms inside were again furnished in original style and the building was reopened in 1952.

Photo by John Augulino

 

CittÓ italiane

article thumbnail CittÓ di Palermo
Thursday, 02 September 2010 |

Webitaly.it
Network JollyPortal: [ powered by Web Agency Pisa ] :: HOTELS ITALIA :: AZIENDE ITALIA :: HOTEL PISA :: powered by TSE Posizionamento motori di ricerca

network portali